People are always asking me questions about what makes me, me. Why I became a competitor, why I live in Utah, why I joined the Military Police etc. I thought I’d go through a bit of a get to know me style quiz, and answer some of these common questions people have asked about me. I hope you all enjoy it.
1. What’s your nick name? Jo. Only my parents and close friends called me Jo growing up. Now, only my spouse and close friends and family call me it.
2. What was your favourite subject in school? Biology (In high school), Criminology (In university).
3. What is your favourite drink? Diet Coke
4. List 2 pet peeves. Loud Chewing and People who don’t have good time management.
5. What’s the last thing you bought? A work out bench and weights
6. What’s your favourite Holiday? Christmas
7. Why did you join the Military? Never planned too. I was personally recruited into the Military Police. I always wanted to be a Police Officer and the Military allowed me to do this part time when I was a single mom.
8. When was the last time you cried? Today. Yup, I’m human and get overwhelmed like everyone else.
9. How Tall are you? 5’6
10. When was your first NPC show? March 2017
11. What sports did you play in High School? Rugby, White Water Kayaking
12. Are you an Introvert or Extrovert? Introvert. Most people don’t think this. I’m an outgoing Introvert. If I know people I’m super loud and outgoing. If I don’t know the people. I’m quiet and reserved.
13. How many siblings do you have? I have three sisters and a brother.
14. How many languages do you speak? I learned French from grade 3 to grade 12. Learned to read and write it more than speak it. But I know enough to get by.
15. How did you get into competing? I always wanted to compete in a body building competition. It was really a bucket list item. Took me until I was 38 to set foot on my first stage. Once I did my first show, I was hooked. I loved the challenge and how my body transformed.
16. What’s the biggest struggle with competing? Believe it or not, eating all my food is my biggest struggle. I’m not motivated by food so getting all my food in, is the biggest struggle I have when doing a prep.
17. What did you learn after your first show that you changed to make better on your second show? Pay for a custom suit! Get a suit that showcases your body. A custom suit helps the judges see all the hard work you put into your body. You’re on stage for mere minutes while being judged after months and months of hard work. Don’t sell yourself short on a cheap suit and miss the opportunity of showing the judges the best you.
18. Why do you live in Utah? I had to have back surgery from a Military injury that they didn’t offer in Canada. So I moved here for that and then met my now husband. I have kids in school here and they love their friends so I stayed.
19. What is your best accomplishment? Hands down, my kids. All I ever wanted in life was to be a mother. Hopefully my kids will grow up and think I did a great job.
20. What would be your best advice for a new competitor or to someone who wants to compete? Trust the process. Trust the people who coach you and who are your support system. Us as women are so hard on ourselves and are easy to get in our own way. Also, do your homework. Get a coach who knows what they’re doing. Competing is hard and has specific guidelines for what is expected and how you should look. Make sure your confident in whos in your corner.
21. What would the you, now, tell your you, 20 years ago? Relax! Enjoy your life and don’t feel like you have to do everything you think is expected of you right now! Take your time finding love, embrace your individuality, do the career you want. Surround yourself with those who bring out the best in you. Get rid of the friends who take advantage of you and aren’t true friends. Last of all, be YOU. Put yourself first once in a while and practice self care. If your not happy, how can anyone around you be happy?